Saturday, September 11, 2010

The 8 Big Ones!!!!

OK, so here is my new idea. And I have been labelled a crazy pom for this. I want to run all of the NZ great walks. After the fun of the Routeburn earlier this year, I have decided to set myself the target of running all of the great walks, ending at the Routeburn Classic next year. There are nine "great walks" in NZ, but one of these, rather strangely, is a kayak trip, so that can not be run, and will take place whenever. That leaves me with 8.
The big 8 are:
Lake Waikaremoana, 42km, North Island
Tongariro Northern Circuit, 50km, North Island
Abel Tasman Coast Track, 51km, South Island
Heaphy Track, 82km(!!!), South Island
Routeburn Track, 32.1km, South Island
Milford Tack, 53.5km, South Island
Kepler Track, 60.1km, South Island
Rakiura Track, 36km, South Island (on Stewart Island)
So the hills around Clyde are my training ground! In the last week I have managed one 34km run, and one 44km run, the last one with a height gain of 1000m, so I think I can do it! My friends Gary and Beck and Mel and Fran all are my support crew, as will mum and dad be when they are over!
So wish me luck, and watch this space!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment