Monday, July 27, 2009

Goodbye UK

Well, it was mixed feelings to be going, I was so excited to be fulfilling my dream of moving to NZ, a new life was waiting for me, where I could climb mountains and achieve my greatest climbing ambitions. However this meant saying goodbye to all of my family and friends, who mean the world to me. I'm so lucky to have such great people around me, so am a crazy to say goodbye?
I have many promises of visits and reunions, and I think I'm probably doing people a favour, who wouldn't want to visit nz?!
The flight was fine, premium economy so pretty luxurious, even a cheese course after dinner, served with port! Fantastic! Flying down from Auckland to Christchurch I looked out of the window. I had a huge smile on my face, as the morning was clear and the early sun was glistening of the snow that covered the mountains as far as the eye can see. The Southern alps were stunning, and filled me with excitement!
Anyway, here I am, staying with a lovely lady called vera, who has lots of lodgers, and a son who also lives with her, so I am not short of company. Its friendly and relaxed. One of the guys here has done lots of climbing and mountaineering, so I've been bending his ear for tips and advice.
I've had a wander into town, and seen my new A&E department, it looks so big and shiny and new (sorry RLH, but its a different world!) they have up to 20 nurses on shift (13 at night) and they only see 75,000 patients a year!
Anyway, I'll keep you updated, and will leave you with a poem, which may explain the reason for the title of my bog:

Only a hill.

Only a hill, the earth set a little higher above the face of earth,
a larger view of little fields and roads,
Higher still, to clouds and silence.
What is that to you? Only a hill.
But all of life to me
Up there between the sunset and the sea.

xxx

1 comment:

  1. ..now I've got a lump in my throat! somewhere between excitement and sadness xxxx

    ReplyDelete